Optimal Nutrition- Raw and Cooked Diets: The Next Level by Monica Segal, AHCW
for dog owners, breeders and veterinarians..
This book discusses
feeding of the stud dog, breeding bitch before and after whelping, new
puppies, young pups in their permanent homes, working dogs and those
with different lifestyles, and senior dogs.
This book also has explanations and diet
samples (raw and cooked) for heart disease, kidney disease, urinary
tract stones, liver disease, hypothyroidism, pancreatitis, Cushing’s
Syndrome, Addison’s Disease, allergies, gastrointestinal diseases, skin
problems and an interview with Dr. Greg Ogilvie (famous for the “cancer
diet”) about cancer. Includes the National Research Council (NRC) 2006
recommended allowances (for adult dogs) on an “as fed” basis and
provides new analyses of some raw meaty bones (chicken quarters, chicken
carcass, lamb shank, lamb rib, pork rib, turkey wing and turkey thigh).
- "If you could read just one book on canine nutrition, it should be Optimal Nutrition, practical, logical and information-packed, Monica Segal presents critical nutritional information for dogs of all ages, in health and disease"
- M. Christine Zink, DVM, Phd
- "Ever faithful to her philosophy that every dog has unique dietary needs, Monica Segal presents and informative guide to canine nutrition through each life stage and a variety of health challenges. This book is an invaluable resource for breeders and pet lovers seeking to feed complete and balanced home-prepared diets."
- Lisa Marcus, breeder, Sanflorian Cavaliers
- "This outstanding new book offers a comprehensive and well-documented review of the optimal guidelines for feeding dogs in health and disease. It provides a balanced, practical viewpoint as well as detailed specific recipes for those wishing to home cook for their dogs, or feed raw food diets or use a combination thereof."
- W. Jean Dodds, DVM